Overcome your fear
Running a small business on your own can be a scary place at times and often we find it necessary to step outside of our comfort zone.
This could be from having to cold call, contacting a difficult client, chasing a bad debt, public speaking or simply putting yourself out there to promote your product or service.
There are many ways to help overcome your fear but here is a top one I was given a long time ago and which works.
Think of someone that you admire and are successful in your industry. Get a picture of them and print it off to keep near your desk or workstation. When you get the jitters, simply look at their picture and ask yourself what they would do in your situation.
Take a deep breath and then take the action that you believe they would take.
Really try to get into the mindset of the person you have chosen if they were dealing with the situation. Think about the following:
- What would they be wearing?
- What language would they use, and what tone of voice – friendly and fun or assertive and commanding?
- Would they be standing or sitting?
- Where would they be – at their office or at the client’s premises?
- What method of communication would they use – email, telephone, letter or face to face?
- What would they have with them or near them– client records, a notepad, a glass of water?
By emulating a successful person that you admire, you can feel a connection with them and know that whatever step you take is going to be one step closer to becoming as good as they are.
Try it out for yourself and see if it helps you overcome your fear. Pop over to the Facebook page and let me know.