Some days we get so wrapped with what is wrong with our world, our life, our business, our relationships etc. It’s all too easy to slip into a feeling of gloom and despair, particularly if you are going through a tough time.
One of the well-documented ways to break free of this is to keep a gratitude journal. I keep one by my bed and write down three things each night before I go to sleep of happy things I have done that day, happy things I am looking forward to or just those simple things that make my happy.
Last night I looked back over a few of my entries and pulled out some of my favourites to share with you. Do feel free to let me know you what simple things make you happy in the comments box below.
Here are a few of the simple things that make me happy…
- Walking my gorgeous dog – a great time to get fresh air, clear the head and get away from the computer and telephone
- The smell wafting from the kitchen when my daughter is baking cakes
- Sitting in front of the fire with a good book (or in the garden under the shade of a tree in the summer)
- The smell of freshly mown grass
- Sipping chilled wine on the patio after a day at work in the summer
- The feeling and smell of freshly laundered bed sheets
- The sound of baby giggling uncontrollably
- The smell of freshly washed clothes
- Receiving a hand written letter (far too rare these days)
- A long weekend away with my hubby
- Watching old black and white movies
- A good thunderstorm (when you’re inside!)
- Hearing the words “I miss you”
- Lying in bed listening to the rain
- Finding money in old handbags
- Seeing the first bloom on the Camelia bush
- Having the family all sat around the table for Sunday roast
- Waking up and realising I have a completely free day to myself
- Drinking champagne cocktails at The Dorchester (ok, not so simple, but an annual tradition when doing my Christmas shopping!)
Do any of these resonate with you? What simple things make you happy? Let me know in the comments below.